Click here to download the latest Scrip Newsletter! (Free Adobe Reader required)
Holiday Gift Guide
Click here to download the Holiday Gift Guide (Free Adobe Reader required)
What To Make Of the Store Closing Rumors On The Internet
Click here for more information (Free Adobe Reader required)
Scrip is simply another word for Gift Certificate.
St. Joan of Arc School purchases gift certificates from local and national merchants. We pay a reduced rate for the gift certificates and then sell them to our school families at their face value. The difference between the reduced rate and the face value is the percentage (%) profit that is generated from each purchase. Gift certificates are redeemed for the full face value.
Scrip is a term that means "substitute money". When your organization members purchase scrip, they're purchasing negotiable gift certificates that are used just like cash. The scrip is issued by the national and local retailers where many of your organization families already shop. These merchants want to support non profit organizations, and in return ask you to support them by shopping with scrip at their stores. Your organization members can use scrip to purchase everyday expenses like food, clothing, and other essentials, and with every purchase, they earn revenue for your organization.
Grocery stores started to sell gift certificates to help non-profit organizations raise money. Many national merchants and restaurants also started to sell gift certificates at an agreed upon reduced rate. We have many local merchants who have joined our program. Scrip is a great way for these merchants to support our school.
We purchase a quantity of gift certificates in advance and therefore the merchant has received payment before the individual sales have been made. We also promote the merchants who participate in our program. Our school families are aware of the merchants who are participating and want to show their support for the merchants.
Each time you order scrip a profit is generated. Grocery stores are 5% and many clothing stores and restaurants are 7 -10%. The orders are entered onto a computer with your family information. 80% of your Scrip profits are then available to be used towards your tuition and the remaining 20% goes to the school to cover the cost of operating the Scrip program.
The program has been in place for years now. We have made several changes throughout the years to enhance the program. Scrip is now sent home with your student. Scrip is now available in the School Office. The entire Scrip list is available every week. All these changes have contributed to more families supporting scrip and saving money on their tuition.
The Great Lakes Scrip center acts on behalf of churches, schools and other non-profit organizations to purchase large amounts of scrip from grocery stores, department stores, and other retailers. Because the scrip is purchased with cash up front, the participating retailers offer a substantial discount. Your organization buys the scrip from Great Lakes Scrip Center at a discount, and re-sells the certificates to your organization members for full face value. The bulk of the discount - from two to fifteen percent or more - is retained by your organization as revenue.
The reason for the effectiveness of scrip is simple: families produce revenue by making purchases they would make anyway. Groceries, clothing, toys, gifts, even gasoline can be purchased with scrip. An organization of 150 families easily spends between one and two million dollars per year on food, clothing and other essentials. If these families use scrip for these purchases, they can raise as much as $40,000 to $80,000 per year for their organization --without spending an additional penny.
Families who purchase scrip certificates actively support the retailers who participate in this program. The reason is simple… they know that buying from a scrip participating retailer provides a steady source of revenue for their church, school, or non-profit organization.
National Retailers List
For more information regarding national retailers participating in Scrip, please visit the Great Lakes Scrip Center.
Please contact one of the following people for more information:
1. Look over Order Form.
Click here to download the Order Form in PDF Format (Free Adobe Reader required)
2. Think of where you may shop in the next few weeks. (Food stores, Restaurants, Birthday Presents, Gift Certificates, etc.)
3. Fill out the order form selecting denominations.
4. Total your order. Check your math, please!
5. Write a check to St. Joan of Arc for the total.
6. Put check and order form in an envelope.
7. Send to school with your child each week and your Scrip certificates will be returned to you in your Family Folder each Friday.
$100 gift cards for Giant, Karn's and Sheetz are also available at all times in the School Office.